02 June 2010

Houseplants -- Mother Nature's Air Purifiers


Living between two major freeways and with a busy street out front, It's frightening how much black soot collects on my window sills and how much dust accumulates in my home. I've employed a Oreck Air Purifier in the bedroom for a year or so and while it does clean the air amazingly well, there is still a lot of dust and the filter has to be cleaned too frequently.


I've realized it's high time I let Mother Nature help improve the air quality in my home. Houseplants are the key. Houseplants, which are mostly tropical plants, are highly effective at cleaning air and some plants even clean specific pollutants from the air such as Benzene, Trichloroethylene and Formaldehyde.


 See a complete list of the best plants to buy and more details here. You'll be familiar with many of these plants like English Ivy, Spider Plant, Pothos, Peace Lily and chances are you've seen all these plants before. A basic recommendation from this study is 15 plants for a 2,000 sq. ft. home. Pots larger than 6" in diameter are also recommended.


In the midst of my budget home redo, I went through a short stack of gift cards and found one to Wal-Mart. I'm going plant shopping and pot shopping. Can't wait to enjoy a freshly redecorated home, full of refreshed air! I would much rather water plants than clean air filters and wash down fans, window sills and every flat surface on a weekly basis. A good plant is the prettiest, most visually appealing and least expensive air purifier you can buy!

See how I took on Devil's Ivy Plant and have been taking cuttings and rooting new plants for my entire home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...