02 August 2011

Late Night Photo Frame Project


So happy to share with you a project I whipped up late Saturday night. I absolutely adore it. In fact it melts my heart every time I look at it.

I bought this frame quite a long while ago, maybe last summer, at a favorite thrift store. When I first saw it I thought it was supposed to be a piece of art made with shells in these two small squares, but I could never figure out what it was supposed to be, it just didn't add up. Then when I took it apart I realized it's a frame for photos and the shells are to create a beachy theme for the frame, just sitting happily along the bottom.

I have hundreds of photos from the beach, it seems like I take 30 or more every time we spend a day on the beach which is usually once every couple of weeks or so. When I began thinking about photos for this frame, the first one that stood out in my mind was a photo of The Little Bug holding her dad's hand dancing down the beach. I actually took this photo with my little pocket camera from about 50 yards away. That little camera has some powerful magnification properties!

When I thought about a second photo for the frame I knew I had some great shots of the two of them from this past week and a very special day we spent together at our favorite beach. I scrolled through them and found this most amazing photo of the two of them holding hands and The Little Bug twirling her hair around her finger.

I took both photos and sized and edited them and gave them a sepia tone treatment. You might be surprised to hear I did all that in Microsoft Word. I have other editing programs but my new printer is having problems printing photos in photo mode but will print them in Word and thankfully Word has really beefed up it's photo editing capabilities.

When I got them into the frame it was delightful magic. The Man adored it too, which made me even happier. Now this little gem sits on  the dresser across from my bed next to my lovely Anthropologie lamp and the white shade and the white frame and the metal lamp base and sepia tone photos pop quite nicely together.

Sending you warmest wishes. Thank you for being here. -k

This post is linked to Good Life Wednesday at the fabulous blog A Beach Cottage. Sarah's blog photos of her home are to die for. You'll love a wander through her fabulous beach cottage!

This is also linked to Chic & Crafty Party at The Frugal Girls. Great spot to see a very creative snapshot of projects people all over blogland are making. Great inspiration!

11 comments:

STYLIZIMO said...

I can see why you love this - it´s beautiful! Great idea to keep good memories alive.

I hope you are enjoying summer in LA. I have to say that I miss LA a lot. I hope that I can visit your lovely town soon.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous frame and photos!

abeachcottage said...

What lovely memories behind those pics and great shots too. Thanks for dropping by and adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Love this. So pretty!

Amanda Higgins said...

Just beautiful. I followed you here from Sarah's blog, which I know that both you and I adore. And now I would like to add your blog to my top sites too! I love your outlook on life, living well stylishly and following your dreams, a true formula for happiness if I ever did hear one.
From here in sunny Sydney, Australia on a sunny winter day, to you in California...hope you are enjoying life this beautiful day!

x manda

Arabella said...

It's adorable - I love it!! Glad to find you through A Beach Cottage's blog party.

Hope you're having a lovely week. :O)

Tracy said...

Hopping over from The Frugal Girls linky party…..
Love this project! Wonderful tutorial!!
I invite you to link up this FABULOUS project at my linky party this week and join us every Thursday evening (through Tue.) to share your wonderful projects. :)
Tracy
Craft Junkie Too

claire said...

This is really sweet! Great B & W photos :)

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

Kalani, love this simple shadowbox and your photos are gorgeous! I am putting together a round up of some amazing ideas for displaying vacation photos and would love to include one photo from your post with a link back to you. Please let me know if I can include you! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi, what size is the shadow box? I’m planning to use it for our mountain vacation in Aspen Colorado. Will be using the pine cones that my daughter collected there. Wonderful idea. I never knew this is how you use shadow box.

kalanicut said...

Our shadow box is about 10"x8".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...