31 October 2011

My Love, NYC


Welcome to Halloween Monday dear blog friends. Hope you had a great weekend wherever you may be. It was a fun one for us.

It was not until I came home a few days ago that I felt the full brunt of my love with New York City. Being home I miss the noise of the city streets, the fast walking, the fall season, seeing celebs walking down the sidewalks, walking past world famous museums, and having an entire world at your feet.

One night last week I had a couple of hours of time and I thought, What do you want to do? I'm giving you full permission to do anything you want here in the city! My first instinct was "I want to go to the top of the Empire State Building!" I laughed because I have been there quite a few times.  But in the end, what I really wanted to do was walk. This was despite the fact that I'd already walked so many miles during the trip that my feet were totally ripped up and very painful even though I wore very practical, comfortable shoes all week. Seriously in all the time I was there I only took the bus three times, took one cab and never even stepped on the subway - I was staying on the Upper East Side in the 90s - that's a trek. I wanted to be out where I could see everything and just drink it in.

I'd already walked quite a long way that day, but I walked from SoHo north and just kept going. I stopped for dinner at Grand Central Station and then kept walking. At 60th street I decided I really  was very tired and hoped in a cab the rest of the way to the Upper East Side. The next day, again I had some free time and headed out to a museum, but instead my soul drew me into Central Park and I walked and walked again. Then I sat in the sun and just loved New York City.

If you are a fellow NYC lover, I say go back, go back and drink it in. If you have always wanted to go, but never have, you owe it to yourself to start this love affair up now. Yes, the city can be a little overwhelming, but all new love affairs are, right? If you want a plan for a good first visit to NYC, email me. I've taken several groups & individuals to NYC for their first visit and have a pretty good plan and ideas about where to stay. I'd be happy to help you work up your own plan. Love you, NYC -- and all my NYC people too!

1 comment:

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

This post really resonates with me. One of my favorite things to do is to go into DC and then walk and walk. I've discovered so many great places this way. I don't do it as much as I used to, but maybe I need to do it again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...