21 June 2012

A True Love Story For Crafters


Last Saturday while walking on the beach, I came across another boat cabinet door that had washed ashore. I looked around to see if anyone else had their eye on it, then quickly snatched it up, brushed it off and proceeded to carry it with me for the rest of our walk. It's very likely a few fellow beach goers were looking at me a little strangely. I am sure I gave off some victorious energy about how I felt I had found a prize right under their noses while they wondered why I would pick up such a piece of junk.

When I got back to the car, I brushed all the sand off it the best I could and tucked it behind the driver's side seat for the trip home later in the week. I imagined the conversations The Man would be having with me later about why I was dragging home another ratty old piece of wood. I could hear him potentially saying any of the following sentences:

"Do you really need any more stuff?"
"You don't have room for any more stuff on the walls."
"What are you going to do with that?"
"Why is this dirty old thing in my car?"
"Why is there sand on the floor of my car?"
"Do you really have time for more crafts projects?"

I know that I am not the only one who has experienced moments like these. I know I could quickly gather thousands of testimonials from other creative types. Am I right? The next day while getting bags out of the car I noticed that the board had been moved to a more suitable and secure spot. HE KNEW about the board. I felt a sense of panic. My next thought was that this moving of the board had happened with no commentary whatsoever at any point in the day. None.

My cringing turned to relief and then the realization that I was living every crafter's romantic dream come true. My need to create, craft and salvage had been received with silent acceptance and understanding! I smiled and never said one word about it...and loved that he loves me even when I bring unnecessary junk home and get sand in his car. Love you, babe!

P.S. You can see what I created with that piece of junk wood right here. It's a project I have been very, very happy with.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...