23 August 2012

That Little Voice In Our Heads

image via


I watched Oprah's Super Soul Sunday a few weeks ago on OWN network with author Michael Singer. He wrote a book that immediately caught my interest called The Untethered Soul. The premise of this book is that we need to quiet the voice in our head, that it is our ego and it will basically destroy us if we let it. We should not be listening to it most of the time, because it's kind of just there to mess us up and to carry on a circuitous conversation with itself. This voice is not to be confused with the voice of our souls that guides us in a still small voice in our lives.

This is the voice that says demeaning things to us, questions our decisions constantly, scares us out of doing big things, weakens us and holds us back from being brave. Shutting that monster down can be the difference between peace and madness.

I have been thinking a lot about that and noticing when that pesky little voice in my head starts to spin, chatter, question and criticize. Singer says that this little voice is exhausting because it will carrying on conversations with itself day and night unless we can stop it. No wonder we are so often exhausted, if we are having this chatter going on constantly in our heads. He also talks about how this voice will carry on both sides of the conversation, arguing constantly with itself. Our job is to step back from it and be at peace so that we can focus on what is important to us in our lives rather then the distractions of this crazy, misguided, rambling voice.

Does mention of this annoying voice sound familiar to you? Do you tire of it's repetitive and uninspiring chants?  I'm very interested in reading this book and based on conversations I've had with others I am pretty sure there are others out there who might like this book. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what points jump off the page at you. While I've already done a good bit of study about it and read the first chapter online, I am going to pick it up as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...