05 February 2016

Finding Contentment

Last night I had the greatest moment of finding contentment that I have felt probably since late 2014 before we started our move. Despite the fact that I think I did quite well with our move, it has been an intense transition.

image via today.com

A couple of experiences I had last fall really threw me for a loop. I'm still struggling with putting the pieces together and understanding what it is I am to do and learn from these experiences. These experiences have shaken my confidence a bit and thrown me for a loop like I have not experienced in a while.

Yesterday I was sitting in my car with The Man waiting for The Bug to finish up a martial arts lesson.
 I thought to check out Stephanie Nielsen's blog NieNieDialogues. I hadn't been there in quite a while. I haven't been reading many blogs the past year, and many of my favorite bloggers have stopped blogging over the past couple of years which is a little sad.

Many years ago I gained a real appreciation for making the most of the unexpected lulls that come during the day. I used to carry a book with me everywhere in my purse. Nowadays it's my phone.

I was so inspired yet again by Stephanie's will to live a beautiful life. There aren't many of us who can compete with her on the hardships we've faced and seeing her thrive, even when painful and difficult, is an encouragement for sure to face daily challenges.

I was reminded of her zest for celebrating the every day, for making her home a special place where her family (immediate and extended) and friends want to be. She inspired me to celebrate every little holiday. To make my home more beautiful. -- See those amazing glass stars all over in her kitchen windows? I died when I saw those. So lovely. Remember the beautiful window I shared from Sundance at christmas time? I do love her kitchen!

Forty-five minutes later we drove towards home with my sweet husband next to me and our kiddo in the backseat full of excitement after a successful class and having learned a new skill. I felt the most amazing wave of contentment come over me. I felt excited to go home and make soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on a very cold night. I was so happy to be with my little family. It was enough.

I dreamed about making my home more cozy and sweet for my family. I felt impressed to make more of a celebration of our daily life and to hang simple sweet Valentine's decorations. Somewhere I have a whole stack of Valentine's Day garlands and decorations. But maybe I'll have to make some new ones this year since I can't find the ones that moved here with us.

I wanted to make better meals and make sure that we sit down together for dinner each night and wanted to make sure I enjoy the daily rituals that are so easy to just rush through each day. It was wonderful to feel so blissful and content with my family.

We were all in bed before nine last night and it was satisfying to know that The Bug was going to get a really good night sleep when I tucked her in with a nice "warmy" heated up in the microwave to cozy up with.

The Man and I sat in bed and he watched a show and I read with my foot up on a couple of pillows and packed in ice and wrapped with a beautiful orange and white Michael Kors scarf I got at a thrift store a few years ago. It was lovely to hold on to his arm and to hold his hand and relax for 90 minutes or so before turning out the lights and going to bed. It was such a nice evening and inspired me to keep it going.

I taped a sticky note on my computer at work a few weeks ago that said, "Home should be your favorite place on earth." I like the idea of being happy with life just as it is, enjoying being at home, making moments special and making the most of every days and special occasions too. I feel like I've been through a period of sorrow with hardships and unfulfilled expectations that made me very sad. I've dealt with some pretty fierce challenges over the past few years. I think I'm ready for a change.

Despite other people's sometimes very negative influence on my sphere, I want to be content and inspired by what I do have and who I am. I don't want to be overly influenced by those who are quick to criticize and make judgments that feel totally wrong to me. I also don't want to be in the wrong places at the wrong time.

I want to go out and do more. Spend more time making new friends and investing in relationships. I am inspired to make things nice for Valentines Day. To decorate. Make a big white wire heart. Hang garlands. Have a special dinner. Make sugar cookies. Enjoy the month of love more. And I definitely need to buy a few hearts from Piggy & Dirt. It's seriously about time for some glass stars and everything I shared above.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...